(For
those of you, who are not familiar with Genea-Musings by Randy Seaver, he
writes an excellent daily genealogy blog . Every Saturday, he posts an
interesting genealogical question, requesting readers answer in their own blog.
I suggested the question he used this week, What was the craziest thing you did to get some genealogical
information? and
here is my answer.)
The craziest thing I did for genealogy happened at our
wedding reception. Fred and I married in our mid-20’s, well before I even knew
what genealogy was. I was from Chicago and Fred grew up outside of Buffalo, New
York, where his parents lived on a small farm, complete with barn.
Because of the distance, Fred’s parents, Fred (Sr.) and
Ruth Schattner, (bless their hearts) hosted a second reception for local family
members a few weeks after our wedding near Chicago. It was outdoors, bring a
dish-to-pass, family reunion picnic on a thankfully beautiful, sunny day. It’s
a large family, so there may have been close to 100 people there, most I met
for the first time.
So here is the crazy thing I did. Before the party, in the
barn, I cut and hung about a dozen long lengths from rolled paper – the kind
you might use to line drawers and put out plenty of pens. Then I told everyone
that we were having a contest and they should try to draw as detailed of a
family chart as they could make and sign their chart. And SURPRISE! They did! Aunts
and uncles from both sides of the family, with help from others, drew detailed (pedigree)
charts.
I learned not only names and relations, but who in the
family had a good memory about family. I rolled up the six best and took them
home. I wrote letters to the best chart writers, and they provided even more
details. This was in 1979. All this information sat in a bedroom closet for
many years.
In 1996, when I got my first computer, I still had those
charts and letters. Many of the people were no longer with us, or memories had
faded. But I pulled out those rolls of paper, and that’s how I started in my
genealogy research.
What a great idea with so many extended family members there. Imagine all the info that would have been lost after the elder members of the family passed away.
ReplyDeleteThanks Linda. I laughed at your story, driving through someone's yard! Impatient spouse. :)
ReplyDelete