Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Football and Genealogy


As we do on many Sundays, my husband and I were watching football.  He is Buffalo Bills fan, I am a Bears fan.  This time, I admit, I’m semi-watching, and poking around on my computer at the same time.  Fred LOVES sports.  And because of that, I gladly get caught up in everything he’s watching or reading.  Our conversations are something like this (when we saw a Payton Manning/Denver Broncos win)

Husband:  Did you see that Archie is at the game?

Me: Yes (and inside a little proud that I know he’s referring to Payton’s father.)  Was Archie a quarterback too?  (I knew he was a football player and had two sons that are playing now.) 

Husband:  Yes, but he wasn’t probably as good professionally as he was in college. (Sorry Archie, if you are reading.)

 Me:  Where did Archie play professionally?

Husband:  Louisiana, the New Orleans Saints.

Me:  Where did he play in college?

Husband:  Mississippi

HOW DOES FRED KNOW THIS STUFF?  He is a one man sports encyclopedia.

Why is this part of a genealogy blog?  Well, there are some people who just keep sports facts in their brains.  And then there are people like me, and maybe you, who keep family facts in their brains.  Ask me about my third gr-grandfathers Karel Knudde, Hiram Dunbar, or Jan Baptiste Verbeke, I can give you an immediate answers. I can also tell you where and when they were born, their jobs and lots of other facts.  Just like Fred knows where Archie Manning played in college. It’s just the way my weird brain works.  How about yours?

 (As sort of a PS to this  blog.) I feel very blessed to have been happily married to Fred for more than 30 years.  I picked a great guy.  He loves sports, and I love to ride on his sports shirt tails.  I’ve been to many more football, baseball, hockey and basketball games than I ever envisioned before I met him.  I’m his sports buddy, many times.  It’s enriched my life. 

 On the other hand, he is my biggest fan when it comes to genealogy.  He listens to my endless stories. On vacations, which Fred plans, he allows time, even DAYS for me to visit cemeteries, libraries, and meet with historians.  He (mostly) comes with me, or (sometimes) he’ll find something else to do, and picks me up.  He’s waiting for me at our front door after I’ve given a presentation, anxious to hear how it went.  See, I did marry the right guy, didn’t I?  He’s a keeper.  

1 comment: